AppCake offers you an easy way of directly installing IPA files onto your iPhone or iPad. The application gives you everything you have come to expect from the app store but with an extra option – the ability to download tweaks and apps onto your device after you have installed a jailbreak.
How to Install AppCake:
- Launch Cydia on your iPhone or iPad
- Tap on Sources at the bottom of the screen
- Tap Edit > Add and type this URL into the box – http://cydia.iphonecake.com/ or directly click this ( link )
- Tap on Add and leave Cydia to install the repository
- When it’s finished, tap the Search option in Cydia
- Type in AppCake and tap the result
- Tap Install, and you will see the icon on your home screen when it’s done.
What is AppCake?
AppCake is an alternative app store, aimed at those who jailbreak, and providing a whole heap of modified content completely free, including the ability to install .deb files.
Open it, and you will see it is designed much like the official app store. AppCake is one of the oldest alternatives, and it has a packed database, full of apps and tweaks, including stock and popular apps modified with extras. There are modified apps for free and plenty of ad-free content too.
AppCake must be downloaded via Cydia, it is not a standalone app, and it even offers a forum that you can get involved in, along with lists of Top Downloads, categorized content, and more.
You will need an additional Cydia tweak to run AppCake. The tweak is called AppSync Unified, and you can download it via Cydia. It gives you the ability to install IPA packages that are unsigned or artificially-signed on your device easily.
AppCake also has a file manager built-in which allows you to monitor downloads and manage your tweaks and apps. A web server allows you to access your downloads and files from any browser you want and allows you to take files from your desktop to your iPhone or iPad.
Is it Safe?
Yes, it is. There is no need to provide your Apple ID so Apple cannot track your activity and it won’t have any adverse effects on your device, the iOS system, or anything else you run on your device.
AppCake offers several useful features, including:
- A vast database containing modified apps for free and ad-free apps and games
- Easy to install on jailbroken devices or using iPastore to install it OTA
- Torrent can be used for faster downloads
How to Uninstall AppCake:
Removing AppCake from your device, for whatever reason, should be done via Cydia. It isn’t as simple as removing a standard app, so follow these steps carefully:
- Open Cydia and tap on the Package Management section
- You will see all the installed apps from Cydia; find AppCake and tap on it
- The app home page opens in Cydia; tap on Modify
- There are three options – Reinstall, Remove, Edit – choose Remove
- Tap Confirm and the uninstall will go-ahead
- Check your apps list again to make sure it has been removed
An alternative method is to use a Cydia tweak called PrefDelete; you will need to download it from Cydia first. It makes deleting Cydia apps and tweaks simple, with far fewer steps.
*Found a broken link? Help us by reporting it in comments below.