Yalu Jailbreak was released by Luca Todesco ( twitter ) . It cannot be installed directly; a useful tool called Cydia Impactor must be used to sideload Yalu jailbreak, and it is worth keeping in mind that it is semi-untethered, which we’ll talk more about later.
Yalu jailbreak, despite being semi-untethered, is a full jailbreak and comes complete with Cydia and with Cydia Substrate; if your device is compatible, you can easily use Yalu for downloading your favorite Cydia tweaks without having to do anything else.
How Does Yalu Jailbreak Works?
It is, as mentioned, semi-untethered, which means that you will need to reactivate the jailbreak whenever your device is rebooted. When your device restarts, the kernel will no longer be patched, and none of your tweaks will work; when you attempt to use Cydia, it will crash. Reactivating is simple, and instructions to do so can be found in our download guide below.
Yalu jailbreak is not compatible with all devices; only the following ones iOS 10.0.1 to iOS 10.2:
- iPhone SE, 5, 5S, 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus
- iPad Air, Air 2
- iPad Mini, Mini 2, Mini 3, Mini 4
- iPad Pro
- iPod touch 6
On iOS 10.1.1:
- iPhone 7, 7 Plus
Yalu jailbreak has not been updated to support any version of iOS 10 after iOS 10.2 as Apple already patched the relevant exploits.
Note: ( Updated 12th August 2019 ) There are better jailbreak options available to download and install Cydia on iOS 10.2 and above firmware. You can read more about it on this linked post.
You must backup your data up before you attempt to install Yalu jailbreak and you must ensure that you have enough charge on your battery.
Download Yalu Jailbreak :
Yalu jailbreak requires the use of Cydia Impactor to install it onto your device; this is easy enough to do and requires your Apple ID to work. Download Yalu Jailbreak Version yalu102_beta7.
It is worth bearing in mind that, because you have to use your Apple ID for Cydia Impactor to sign and install Yalu, the app certificate will expire after 7 days if you use a free ID, 12 months for a paid developer ID. This will mean that Yalu jailbreak will need to be reinstalled when it expires.
How to Install Yalu Jailbreak:
Cydia Impactor is required to install Yalu jailbreak onto your device, and for this, you are going to need your Apple ID. The steps below walk you through the entire process:
- Download the Yalu .IPA file on your computer using the link above
- Next, download Cydia Impactor and open it on your computer
- Plug your iOS device into your computer using the correct cable
- Cydia Impactor should recognize your device and show it in the drop-down list
- Find the .ipa file you downloaded and drag it into the open Cydia Impactor window
- Next, type your Apple ID and password in – this is so that the Yalu file may be signed
- Now wait; Cydia Impactor needs to get the file signed and install Yalu to your device
- When the installation has completed, there will be an icon on your iOS device home page called Yalu102
- Before you open it, open your iOS settings app and go to General > Profiles
- In the list of profiles, find the one with your Apple ID and tap it
- Tap Trust and close settings
- Now tap on the Yalu102 icon to open the jailbreak
- Tap the big Go button so that the jailbreak may continue – leave your device alone until this has completed
- When your device reboots, you should now see a Cydia icon on your home screen; if not, go back to Step 12 and repeat from there.
Once the Cydia icon appears on your home screen, the jailbreak has been successful; tap on the icon to open and set up Cydia for first use, and then you can download your favorite apps and tweaks.
How to Re-Jailbreak:
- After your device has restarted, from your home screen, tap on the mach_portal/Yalu app icon
- You will be faced with a white, blank screen – don’t worry because the app is in the process of re-jailbreaking your device
- Do not touch your device; after about 15 seconds, that screen will close down, and you will see your home screen once more
- Tap the Cydia icon, and Yalu jailbreak will be working again.
It’s as simple as that; you can now begin to download your tweaks and apps once more but don’t forget to install Cydia Eraser first; this useful package allows you to remove your jailbreak without restoring your device to a different iOS version.
Resign Yalu Jailbreak using Extender:
To do this, we need to add a repository to Cydia:
- Launch Cydia from your home screen and tap the Sources button
- Tap on Edit > Add, and you will see a box
- Type http://repo.incendo.ws into that box precisely as written
- Tap on Add and wait; the new package will be installed
- Now open the new repository and look for Extender Installer
- Install it the same way that you would install any app from Cydia
- When your device resprings the installation is finished, and you will see the icon for Extender Installer on your home screen
- Tap to open the app and tap on More
- If you are not signed in, tap on Sign and use your Apple credentials to sign in – you can set up a second dummy Apple ID for this rather than using your regular account (recommended).
- Now tap on Resign Application When and specify when the app should be signed automatically
That’s it; now, when the Yalu certificate expires after 7 days, it will be resigned automatically by Extender Installer. You can do this for all apps that you use Cydia Impactor to sideload to your device and when the resigning is done, you will be notified.
Yalu jailbreak provided a lifeline for many users and, for those still on the relevant iOS versions, it can still be used today. For the latest Cydia and Yalu jailbreak updates, follow us on Facebook.