P0sixspwn is one of the best jailbreak utilities, developed and released for iOS 6 by iH8sn0w ( twitter ), one of the more prominent jailbreak developers. Until this release, a utility called Redsn0w was required to get a tethered jailbreak onto the device and then P0sixspwn had to be installed to turn into an untethered jailbreak. The updated version of P0sixspwn allows us to install the untethered jailbreak straight away and we are going to walk you through how to do it so keep reading for full details.
Things to Know :
Before you start, there are a few things you need to know:
- The following guide is for all iOS devices on iOS 6.1.3 to iOS 6.1.6. If you are not sure of your iOS version, open Settings > General > About on your device and look at the version number.
- This jailbreak will not work on any other iOS version
- P0sixspwn is an untethered jailbreak utility
- Be aware that jailbreaking may result in any warranty on your device being voided
- Jailbreaking should not be done with the express intention of using pirated or hacked apps
Supported Devices :
P0sixspwn is compatible with the following devices:
- iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, 5
- iPad 2, 3, 4, Mini
- iPod Touch 4G, 5G
It is also compatible with both Windows and Mac OS X 10.6+.
Before the Jailbreak :
Before you install the jailbreak there are some important things to do:
- Use iTunes to back your device data up
- Disable your passcode for the duration of the jailbreak – go to Settings > General > Passcode Lock. You can turn it back on afterward.
- In iTunes, disable the option to Encrypt iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch Backup. Again, you can enable it again one the jailbreak is done.
How to Install P0sixspwn :
- Download the P0sixspwn jailbreak onto your computer from the links above.
- Extract the application by clicking the file on your computer
- Launch P0sixspwn – if you use Windows, it is important that you do NOT run the application from the extracted file. Instead, right-click it and select “Run as Administrator”.
- You will be asked to plug your iOS device into your computer – do so and wait for P0sixspwn to detect it and show you which firmware it is running
- Click on the large Jailbreak button
- The jailbreak will now go ahead; you can see the progress in the jailbreak tool. You will see several stages, including:
- Connecting to the device
- Retrieving payload – if this doesn’t work you will need to check your internet connection
- Gathering information
- Restore in Progress
- Waiting for Reboot
- Remounting Root
- Sending Cydia payload – your device will reboot
The final message will tell you that the device has been successfully jailbroken and will now reboot. Once the reboot has happened, you should see the Cydia icon on your device.
Mac OS X :
If the P0sixspwn tool closes once the device has rebooted, make sure you are using the most up to date version of the tool.
Do make sure that you extract the files to your C; drive and only run as administrator. If you use Windows 8 and you keep coming up against problems, try running the tool in Windows 7 Compatibility Mode. To do this, right-click on the executable file, click Properties > Compatibility and then click on the box beside Run this program in compatibility mode for” followed by Windows 7.
Downgrade iTunes :
Some users on Windows have said that they had to downgrade windows to v11.1.4 before being able to successfully jailbreak their devices.
Redsn0w and P0sixspwn :
If you run into issues using P0sixspwn and the jailbreak is not successful, you could try using Redsn0w first and then installing P0sixspwn.
Frequently Asked Questions :
Can’t make up your mind whether to use Cydia or not? Set your mind at rest by reading the answers to some of the common Cydia questions:
Let us know if you have any issues with P0sixspwn jailbreak tool and follow us on Facebook for more jailbreak updates.