Cydia Impactor is a program that helps us install third-party apps ( .ipa files ) into our iOS devices. This process of installing the IPA files using the Cydia Impactor app is called sideloading. There are a large number of third-party app installers that Cydia Impactor helps us to install and we’re going to tell you how to use it.
Before You Start:
Before you download Cydia Impactor and start using it, you should be aware of the following:
- You need to use your Apple ID with Cydia Impactor – if you would prefer, you can set up a second free/dummy account that you use for this purpose
- If your Apple ID is a free one, the app certificates will expire after 7 days, leaving you to sideload the app once again. It will continue to expire every seven days
- If your Apple ID is a paid Developer ID, the certificates will expire after 12 months
- You must ensure that iTunes is up to date before you use the app
- 1 Download Cydia Impactor:
- 2 How to Use:
- 3 Common Error Fix:
- 4 Impactor App Features:
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions:
- 6 Cydia Impactor Alternatives:
Download Cydia Impactor:
Following is the direct download link for the app for Mac and Microsoft Windows PC systems.
How to Use:
If you have 2FA ( two-factor authentication ) enabled on your iPhone, it can interfere with the installation process. If you want, you can disable it, follow Method 1 below and then re-enable it or you can follow the steps of Method 2 below to install the IPA files without needing to disable it. Please make sure you do exactly what these steps ask you to; otherwise, we cannot guarantee success:
Method 1: Install IPA Files with 2FA Disabled
- Download the app onto your Mac, Windows PC, or Linux from the links above.
- Download the relevant .ipa file for the app you are side-loading
- Connect your computer and iOS device via lightning cable
- Launch the app and check that your device is detected
- Find the .ipa file and drag it to the open Impactor window
- Click OK on the Expired Certificates warning
- Type your Apple ID and password in; click OK
- Now the Impactor app will retrieve and sign the app certificate; when this is done, you will see the app icon on your home screen
- Now open your iOS Settings app and tap on General
- Tap Profiles and Device Management
- A list of app certificates will load; find and tap the certificate for the sideloaded app
- Tap Trust and close Settings. You can now use the app.
Method 2: How to Install IPA Files with 2FA Enabled
- From your browser, open appleid.apple.com and log into your account
- You will be asked to follow the 2FA steps to get into your account, do so
- When your account loads, you will a message telling you that Two-Factor Authentication is enabled and, beside it, you will see App-Specific Password ( tap it )
- Now choose a name for the label ( try to call it something close to the app name you want to install ) and click Create
- Your password will be generated; copy it
- Follow the steps above until you get to where you enter your Apple ID – input your ID and use your newly generated password
- Follow the rest of the steps in Method 1.
- Once done, the IPA file will be on your device, and the app is yours to use.
Common Error Fix:
Cydia Impactor has become an incredibly popular tool, used for sideloading unsigned apps onto the iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. The last few jailbreaks that have been released have required the use of Cydia Impactor to get the jailbreak onto the iOS device, and some users are now reporting that the tool is sometimes failing. Luckily, we have the solution for the most common Cydia Impactor errors.
- XCode 7.3 Error
- Cydia Impactor Provision.cpp error
- Cydia Impactor won’t Detect my Device
- Other Cydia Impactor errors fix
Impactor App Features:
The Impactor app is continuously under development, but several useful features can be used. Check out the ( infographic ) below.
- Connection Bridging – Cydia Impactor makes it easy to bridge connections between your computer and iPhone or iPad. You can also disconnect or restart connections if required, but you will need to find out the port number first.
- Rooting Android Mobile Devices –If your device is on Android 2.3 or below, you can use Cydia Impactor to put it up to v5.0. Simply install Cydia Impactor, connect your Android device to your computer, click on Start and leave it – it will quickly update.
- Unlocking Bootloader –The bootloader file for your device can be generated using an identifier token. The bootloader can be locked and unlocked quickly.
- Built-in USB Drivers – USB drivers are built-in to Cydia Impactor so you won’t need to search for them; you must install them manually from the app first
- Package Installations –Cydia Impactor allows you to get and flash any mod package. You can also root packages, update them, and manually recover files straight to your device without needing FastBoot tools to help.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Here are some common FAQ questions from new and existing users.
How Safe is Cydia Impactor?
It is safe enough to use. Although it requests your Apple ID, it does not store it. Cydia Impactor needs your ID in order to sign the app before loading it and doesn’t use it for anything else. The only you must be careful of is that you only download your IPA files from reputable sources.
Is Cydia Impactor Supported on iOS 13?
Absolutely! Cydia Impactor is updated every time the iOS firmware is updated, ensuring continuous support.
Do I Need to Jailbreak to Use it?
No. Cydia Impactor may share the same name as the popular third-party app store, but it isn’t required. The only time you would need to jailbreak is if you want to install a specific tweak or app that cannot be installed from any other source.
What is the provision.cpp:173 Error?
This is an error that occurs commonly with Cydia Impactor. To find out how to resolve it, and it is easy to do, simply check the Cydia Impactor error’s section above.
Is it Free?
Yes, it is. The developer makes no charge for the tool so if you are asked to pay for it, and you are not downloading it from the official source. You can report the site to the Cydia community, but the best thing is just to use the official sources.
Cydia Impactor Alternatives:
If you are looking for some great Cydia Impactor Alternative apps, then we have a list of apps that have been put together to help you install 3rd-party IPA files on your iOS device.
Follow us on Facebook for more updates and tutorials like this one. Provided you have the .ipa file; you can use Cydia Impactor to sideload any iOS app to your iPhone or iPad very quickly.
Let us know what you will be using it for and follow us for more Cydia news and developments.