Most iOS users are aware of a tool called Cydia Impactor; in the early days, it was used to help us remove Cydia from our devices, leaving us on the iOS version we were on when Cydia was installed. That tool is now called Cydia Eraser; Cydia Impactor has a very different role this time.
Cydia Impactor is now used to help us sideload third-party apps using their .ipa files onto our iOS devices, including any updates to Cydia that may be released. There are a large number of third-party app installers that Cydia Impactor helps us to install and we’re going to tell you how to use it.
Before You Start :
Before you download Cydia Impactor and start using it, you should be aware of the following:
- You need to use your Apple ID with Cydia Impactor – if you would prefer, you can set up a second free account that you use with this app
- If your Apple ID is a free one, the app certificates will expire after 7 days, leaving you to sideload the app once more. It will continue to expire every 7 days
- If your Apple ID is a paid developer ID, the certificates will expire after 12 months
- You must ensure that iTunes is up to date before you use the app
Download Cydia Impactor :
Following is the direct download link for the app for Mac and Windows PC.
How to Use Cydia Impactor :
- Download Cydia Impactor onto your Mac, Windows PC or Linux
- Download the relevant .ipa file for the app you are side-loading
- Connect your computer and iOS device
- Launch the app and check that your device is detected
- Find the .ipa file and drag it to the open Impactor window
- Click OK on the Expired Certificates warning
- Type your Apple ID and password in; click OK
- Now the Impactor app will retrieve and sign the app certificate; when this is done, you will see the app icon on your home screen
- Now open your iOS Settings app and tap on General
- Tap Profiles and Device Management
- A list of app certificates will load; find and tap the certificate for the sideloaded app
- Tap Trust and close Settings
- You can now use the app.
App Features :
The Impactor app is constantly under development but there are several useful features that can be used.
- Connection Bridging – Cydia Impactor makes it easy to bridge connections between your computer and iPhone or iPad. You can also disconnect or restart connections if required but you will need to find out the port number first.
- Rooting Android Mobile Devices –If your device is on Android 2.3 or below, you can use Cydia Impactor to put it up to v5.0. Simply install Cydia Impactor, connect your Android device to your computer, click on Start and leave it – it will quickly update.
- Unlocking Bootloader –The bootloader file for your device can be generated using an identifier token. Bootloader can be locked and unlocked quickly.
- Built-in USB Drivers – USB drivers are built-in to Cydia Impactor so you won’t need to search for them; you must install them manually from the app first
- Package Installations –Cydia Impactor allows you to get and flash any mod package. You can also root packages, update them, and manually recover files straight to your device without needing FastBoot tools to help.
Common Error Fix :
Cydia Impactor has become an incredibly popular tool, used for side loading unsigned apps onto the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. The last few jailbreaks that have been released have required the use of Cydia Impactor to get the jailbreak onto the iOS device and some users are now reporting that the tool is failing sometimes. Luckily, we have the solution but, before we tell you, you might want to know why this is happening.
Cydia Impactor Provision.cpp Error :
While using Cydia Impactor , if you faced a provision.cpp error, follow the linked tutorial to fix this issue and get past the error on your computer.
Cydia Impactor wont Detect my Device ?
The problem may not lie with Cydia Impactor. If it won’t recognize your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, there is a good chance that the problem lies with your computer. These are the main reasons why there may be a problem:
- You may not have installed iTunes on your computer
- Your iOS device has not been properly connected to the computer
- iTunes is unable to recognize the device that is connected
How to Fix Cydia Impactor Not Detecting iOS Device :
There are 5 methods to try here; start at the top and work your way through until you find one that works for you:
- Method 1: Check USB Port
The first step is to check the port that your iOS device is connected to. Does your iPhone or iPad begin charging when you connect it to your computer? If not, the USB port may be at fault so try a different one and keep trying until you find one that works. If Cydia Impactor still doesn’t work, move on to the next method.
- Method 2: Reinstall iTunes
Delete iTunes and all related services form your computer and reinstall it:
- Remove iTunes, Apple Mobile Device Support and Apple Application Support from your computer
- Reboot your computer
- Install iTunes again
- Reboot your computer
- Try Cydia Impactor again.
If it still doesn’t work, move on to Method 3 as shown below.
- Method 3: Is Your USB Cable Working ?
If your USB cable is not working properly then Cydia Impactor will not be able to detect your device. Try another cable and make sure you are using the correct Apple certified cable. If the cable is working but Cydia Impactor isn’t, try method 4.
- Method 4: Update Cydia Impactor
As with any application of software tool you should make sure you are using the most up to ate version of Cydia Impactor. Download the latest version from here.
- Method 5: A Different Computer
If it still doesn’t work, simply use a different computer or laptop .
Have any of these fixed the problem for you ? Follow us on Facebook for more updates and tutorials like this one . Provided you have the .ipa file, you can use Cydia Impactor to sideload any iOS app to your iPhone or iPad very easily.
Let us know what you will be using it for and follow us for more Cydia news and developments.